Preparing Your Home Checklist
Preparing your home to be put on the market can seem like a daunting task, but I’m here to help! Go to my site http://juneausellersguide.com/staging to download this detailed check list and get your home ready to sell.
- Mow the lawn, and trim trees and shrubs away from the house.
- Remove dead plants, flowers & shrubs.
- Put away tools, garbage cans, hoses, toys & building materials.
- Remove window screens while selling your home & keep windows clean.
- Check for broken roof shingles and clean out gutters.
- Seal or resurface driveway.
- Clear patios and decks of planters, flower pots, charcoal & barbecues.
- Dress up front yard shrubs & lamp posts with fresh mulch.
- Repaint or refinish trip around windows & doors.
- Clean the stove, oven, range hood & countertops.
- Repair drippy faucets & squeaks or binds in cabinet drawers. Make sure cabinet hardware is also cleaned.
- Discard old food & leftovers from refrigerator.
- Remove messages, pictures and magnets from refrigerator.
- Clear small appliances, dish drainer and cookware from countertop.
- Wipe down cabinets and clear out items under the sink.
- Clean all light fixtures and replace with bright bulbs.
- Turn on all the lights before a buyer arrives to show there is nothing to hide.
- Roll up and remove small rugs.
- Fill the house with a fresh scent. Heat vanilla on the stove or bake a batch of cookies.
- Spotlessly clean woodwork & carpeting.
- Clear window ledges of all objects to give a nice glimpse inside & out.
- Repaint walls in a neutral color.
- Clean fireplace & remove any items in front of it.
- Replace carpet if it has a loud color.
- Remove magazines, books, video games, toys and other clutter.
- Create an easy going, relaxed atmosphere.
- Dust and simplify shelves; remove family photos.
- Discard worn furniture & move extras to a storage area.
- Visit a model home to get decorating ideas.
- Clear away all magazines, books & other objects from furniture.
- Take down pictures that hide walls. Patch nail holes & paint.
- Add lamps & lighting in dark areas.
- Open the curtains.
- Set out fresh flowers.
- Remove any unnecessary items from the vanity, tub, etc.
- The fixtures, tile & shower curtain should be immaculate.
- Caulk & grout tile. Bleach discolored grout.
- Remove any wall paper that is not “conservative”.
- Decorate with towels.
- Check bath vents are working properly.
- Make sure all fixtures work properly and fix leaks.
- Define areas by furniture arrangement. Keep it simple.
- Be sure clothes are hung up.
- Store off-season clothing elsewhere.
- Clean out closets enough for buyers to get a good idea of storage size.
- Make sure nothing is left under beds; add bed skirts for cleaner look.
- Clean or replace HVAC filter. Clean air returns.
- Test all smoke detectors.
- Clean chimney, fireplace or woodstove.
- Remove any wall paper that is not “conservative.”
- Make sure all windows, door & cabinets open easily without squeaks; replace rusty hinges.
- Check ventilation in attic, basement & crawlspace; update if necessary.